Holden

Holden Caufield.....he's a pretty weird character. I've gotten pretty far in the book and some stuff he has said Ive been agreeing with. I find myself saying people are "phonies" in my life although mine has a pretty much different meaning than his. The way Holden is sometimes let makes me understand why certain people act cold towards him. He's a pretty rude guy when making conversation he says anything he wants to people and that should not be okay. I think Holden does have some phony in him but he is not a complete phony at all. He sees characteristics in people that could be perceived as them being phony. Although judging people he only knows from the surface is phony. Holden is too quick to judge others and doesnt get to know people well enough in order to make conclusions about them. Like we discussed in class I think it's Holden vs The World. He only knows a couple "real" people but it's that enough for him. It's seems like many dont want to be bothered with him. Why does he have conversations with "phonies" if he's only going to judge them the entire conversation? Seems just plain odd to me. I think he is against hisself as well. He often lies to hisself and contradicts hisself. I wonder is Holden the way he is because he doesn't want to conform to the norm or is this the way society as made him. For someone to think this ways a lot of people must have let him down in order for him just to see one view of "real or phony".Tis all

1 comment:

  1. In a way people can relate to Holden, especially us as teenagers because we are able to understand what Holden is going through. Similar to what you said he is too quick to judge people but we often do that as well no matter what the reason.

    ReplyDelete